Organizations interested in receiving notification of job openings should notify Sherby Wilks, Human Resources Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 757.889.9290.
ONLINE AND SOCIAL MEDIA PRODUCER
Reports to: Online Media Officer
Produce and write original web content, curate existing digital content that supports and enhances organization’s initiatives. Coordinate, package and publish content for digital distribution on WHRO-managed online platforms, including websites, blogs, eNewsletters and social media.
- Produce, write, curate digital content that supports and enhances organization’s initiatives, coordinate, package and publish content for digital distribution.
- Create and execute original ideas and concepts that promote and build audience participation and engagement.
- Manage multiple newsletter subscription lists and deliver content to targeted audience.
- Develop and execute social media campaigns. Utilize Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pintrest, etc. to execute daily outreach and interaction with fans and followers on behalf of company content, driving mentions, links and video embeds.
- Ensure editorial content published on websites meets the standards and objectives of the organization’s brands and overall digital strategy.
- Monitor and measure success of social media campaigns.
- Manage events such as live chats, podcasts, live video streams, etc.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues to ensure priorities are followed, art/graphic and technical elements are implemented and deadlines are met.
- Curate and coordinate related graphics as needed.
- Participate in editorial planning sessions and provide creative story ideas.
- Develop and execute strategies to leverage content across multiple online and mobile platforms.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or similar field with demonstrated interest in communications and minimum of 3 years experience producing content for the Web, executing new media and social media tactics, and online usability best practices.
- Must have strong writing and proofreading skills and the ability to write in a succinct, engaging style.
- Exceptional attention to detail, strong interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with a variety of editorial, design, and technical colleagues are required.
- Must be able to work under short deadlines and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Understanding of digital file formats, compression and upload of digital files.
- Familiarity with streaming technologies and latest encoding standards.
- Understanding of web analytics and online marketing metrics such as open rate, click-through rate, unique and repeating visitors.
- Understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) strategies and techniques.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Preferred
- Experience with Joomla CMS, social media platforms, HTML and/or CSS page layout, and metadata management.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator & other Creative Suite applications.
- Knowledge of video editing software such as iMovie, Final Cut, etc.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Sherby Wilks at: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
PART-TIME CLASSICAL RADIO ANNOUNCER
This position is primarily responsible for station operation including hosting classical music programs, reading announcements on-air and operation of studio equipment including computer automation. The applicant should be able to demonstrate a familiarity with the music and a friendly, relaxed on-air presence, as well as a willingness and ability to learn various radio computer systems. Enthusiasm for the job a must. Approximately 6 – 10 hours per week with occasional filling in for vacationing announcers.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: Sherby Wilks, WHRO-FM, 5200 Hampton Blvd; Norfolk, VA 23508 or firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE
Reports to: Project Manager
Position Description: The Instructional Designer (ID) is responsible for planning, designing, and developing interactive web applications and technologies for online courses and eBooks developed by the WHRO Education Online Courses department. Through a research-based approach, the ID will translate content provided by subject-matter experts into high-quality online curriculum. Using web authoring, graphics, and interactivity development software, the ID will create webpages and learning objects to meet a variety of learning styles.
Education: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two years of experience in the Information and/or Educational Technology field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Convert text-based content into interactive and engaging online content based on the WHRO Education Online Course (WEOC) Handbook
- Adhere to project timelines and due dates
- Attend WEOC department meetings, monthly Content Development Team (CDTM) Meetings, and Project Manager (PM) meetings
- Report to the office at least one day a week, established with PM
- Ensure that development criteria and instructional design standards are met and implemented
- Read all materials created by the CDTM and ensure that content is free from spelling and grammar errors
- Follow the technical guidelines identified by the PM and the WEOC Handbook
- Follow copyright laws and guidelines and assist CDTM with gaining permissions through PM
- Work with the content developers to identify where interactive activities are appropriate
- Vary the learning object usage through creative uses of the provided software and resources
- Create graphically appealing materials that compliment course template color schemes
- Implement all approved revisions
- Assist PM with developing the course master copy in the learning management system
- Monitor the timeline and module development for each project
- Maintain open communication with the PM regarding unresolved issues and ongoing progress
- Ensure that 508 and copyright requirements are met and implements in all projects
- Ensure that course content aligns to and meets all standards
- Finalize and produce audio scripts for learning objects
- Ensure online courses meet standards of quality
- Establish universal design for instruction throughout course (vary learning style methods)
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrating respect for others
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by his/her supervisor
- Advanced skills in web and graphic design and the ability to master off-the-shelf e-learning software packages (e.g. Articulate®, Raptivity®, Adobe® Captivate®, TechSmith® Camtasia®, etc.)
- Advanced HTML and photo editing software experience
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and handle diverse tasks simultaneously using prioritization and delegation
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with others
- Ability to use correct spelling and grammar in written text
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions
- Attend meetings as assigned in the WHRO Norfolk or Williamsburg offices
- Knowledge of web development standards such as 508 compliance, W3C and WCAG, and SCORM
- Applied knowledge of training best practices and instructional design principles
- Knowledge of course management systems
- Knowledge of eBook design
- Teaching experience or working knowledge of K-12 learning environments
Job Location: Norfolk, Virginia area
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Sherby Wilks at: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled. WHRO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
WHRO is seeking an exceptional Art Director with an extensive creative design background, encompassing web (including social and mobile strategies), print, and TV. Supervises creative design and develops final visual look and feel that communicates the organization's marketing and promotional objectives . Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, with at least 5 years of experience in the field. May coordinate the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Reports to the Creative Services Officer.
- Under the direction of the Creative Services Officer, will develop sophisticated, visual imagery that effectively communicates our brand and our editorial message to users and members, and facilitates interaction with our websites, promotions, and marketing materials.
- Works as a member of the creative/development/project management team.
- Ensure consistent, engaging and contemporary design across a wide range of media.
- Able to conceive, develop, and execute concepts and synthesize those of internal customers.
- Strong communication, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Intimately familiar with the production requirements for Print, Web, and video.
- Should be proficient with Adobe Creative Suite applications, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Knowledge of After Effects a plus.
- Able to provide mark up and complete layouts and instructions to prepare materials for typesetting or printing.
- Experienced in designing layouts for landing pages, websites and mobile apps, prototypes, wireframes and design specifications with thorough understanding of UI and UX principles.
- Samples of the types of projects candidates will be expected to manage include:
- On-air graphics, banners and promos
- Web sites and banner ads
- Print and associated collateral materials
Qualified interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, sample work and salary requirements to: WHRO, Attn: Sherby Wilks; 5200 Hampton Blvd., Norfolk, VA or firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE
WHRO is currently seeking temporary part-time production personnel to fill occasional TV studio and remote positions. We’re looking for teleprompter operators, studio and field camera people, CG operators, floor directors and grips. A minimum of six (6) months experience required.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to Greg Carter, Studio Manager/Lighting Director at email@example.com.
WHRO INTERNSHIP PROGRAM- WHRO offers an internship program to juniors and seniors enrolled in a college or similar curriculum to which the internship applies. The purpose is to allow qualified and interested students an opportunity to gain practical experience in a career setting. These experiences can allow students to combine their educational pursuits with day-to-day operations of the communications and broadcasting industry. While some internships can be used for college credit, it is not mandatory.
Individuals may apply in the same way they would apply for a job. An internship application, resume and cover letter are required. The appropriate department head to determine eligibility for the internship will then interview the individuals.
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2013 semester.
Additional information and hard copies of the application may be obtained by contacting Sherby Wilks, Human Resources Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Defenestration Online Radio Stream / Artist Galleries and Profiles
WHRO is offering internship positions with the award winning service Defenestration. It isn't a radio program, or a TV program, or even a podcast. It's a compilation of videos, audio recordings, paintings, poetry, sculpture, weaving - any creative endeavor that can be shared with visitors to our website will find a place on defenestration. In short, defenestration is an opportunity to share an artist's creativity with whro.org's many visitors – and a chance for the public to see and hear the different artistic perspectives of members of the community. It's a continuous 24/7 variety show…
Applicants should have a keen interest in local music and arts.
Our internships are unpaid; however, students can earn college credits based on approval of the college or university.
Local Music and Art Journalism Internship
Simply put research and write about local music and art.
Develop your own portfolio of published work while contributing to Defenestration. This is for individuals who wish to gain experience in the world of music journalism, and have their work published.
Candidates will have the opportunity to contribute by publishing their own original articles on the website contingent upon editorial review of all submissions and approval for publishing. In addition, if you choose to participate in our credited internship program, candidates will perform various functions such as research, fact checking, and basic editing duties.
- Must love to write
- Must love music and art
- Must have style
- Must be able to keep your finger on the pulse of local music, artists, musical events, festivals, new releases, news, etc.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and submit on a predetermined schedule that you
- are comfortable with
- Reasonable computer skills
To research and gather information on Hampton Roads local artist to include, musicians, bands, painters, sculptors, comedians, photographers, poets, etc.
Populate a central database with names, contact info, biographies, photos, documents, digital copies of art, etc.
Contact the artists and ask for input to the Defenestration service and provide assistance as needed to include collecting material and posting it
Interview local artists via video and audio for inclusion on the media player and artist galleries.
Create shows using audio and video collected for inclusion in the online stream and artist galleries.
Interview local artists via video and audio for inclusion on the media player and artist galleries.
Students interested in being considered for one of the internships should submit a WHRO internship application [DOC] and submit it, along with their, resume to email@example.com.
To submit a resume or for additional information, please contact:
Sherby Wilks (Sherby.Wilks@whro.org)
Human Resources Officer
5200 Hampton Boulevard
Norfolk, VA 23508
"WHRO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER"