Science - Kindergarten K.9
Are You My Baby?
Children see pictures of aquatic animals and people at young and adult stages in their lives; describe changes they observe; hear the story of Flossie Flounder from Suzanne Tate's Nature Series; and play a game in which they match pictures of mature animals to their "babies."
- Location: Virginia Institute of Marine Science
- SOLs Covered: Science: K.4, K.6, K.9
- Time Required:
See How I Grow
Through meeting adult mammals, reptiles & birds, children will investigate and understand basic needs and life processes of plants and animals. This popular program uses graphing and visuals to reinforce how living things change as they grow, need certain things to survive and how offspring are similar, but not identical to their parents. *This program is recommended for grades K-2.
- Location: Virginia Zoo
- SOLs Covered: Science: K.1, K.2, K.6, K.8, K.9, 1.4, 1.5, 2.4, 3.4, 3.8 Math: K.17, K.18, 2.21, 3.22 History & Social Science: K.2, K.7 English: K.2, K.3, K.13, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.2 2.3, 3.1
- Time Required: 45-60 mins.
- Dates: Monday-Friday
- Costs: Cost of Program on Zoo Grounds: Zoo admission fee plus $2.50 per participant (80 children maximum). Each additional program $2.50 per person ($75.00 minimum). Cost of Program at your Facility: Travel fee (based on roundtrip mileage from the Zoo) plus $2.50 per participant (80 children maximum). Each additional program $2.50 per person ($75.00 minimum). Registration: You must pre-register for education programs through the Education Department. Please fill out a registration form and mail or fax it to us. You may also register online here. You must receive a confirmation letter from us before you are guaranteed a program. Please call us at 757-624-9937 ext. 299 if you have any questions or if you do not receive a confirmation letter.
Down to Earth
Use all of your senses to get "down to earth" and explore your world! Discover what makes up the Earth, how mountains are formed, and how Earth changes daily. Classify rocks, and see how you can break them with water. Learn how soil is created and then make your own! Sort animals into their habitats. Investigate how the sun affects Earth and what causes day and night. Pair this program with the Disney's IMAX film The Lion King. (Grades Pre-K – 2)
- Location: Virginia Air and Space Museum
- SOLs Covered: Science: K.1, K.2, K.4, K.5, K.9, K.10, 1.1, 1.3, 1.6, 1.8, 2.1, 2.3, 2.7
- Time Required: 1 hour. Pair this program with the IMAX film Grand Canyon. Available as an outreach program to your school.
- Costs: Call (757) 727-0900, ext. 780 for more information, to book a group or schedule an educational program.
Cultural Portal Categories