Math - Sixth Grade 6.7
AeroZone is a hands-on laboratory experience where students prepare for a cross-country flight that will take them on a tour of various NASA research centers. Students research weather condition using the Center's weather station, gather information for visits along the way, and work with a global positioning system and amateur radio system. They even design aircraft and conduct wind tunnel research, testing various aero shapes in a real wind tunnel. There is also an interactive segment on working in microgravity aboard the International Space Station. Students will conduct experiments, receive information on careers in space or take a virtual trip to the International Space Station to study spatial orientation and the Station's Modules.
- Location: Virginia Air & Space Center
- SOLs Covered: Computer/Technology: C/T5.2, C/T5.3, C/T5.4, C/T8.2, C/T8.3, C/T8.4, Science: 6.1, LS.1, ES.1 ES.3, ES.13, PS.1, PH.1, PH.2, PH.3, PH.4, PH.5, Mathematics: 6.6, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 8.4, COM.2.3, COM.4, HISTORY: 6.10
- Time Required: 1 or 2 hours
- Costs: To schedule your class for a program please call (757) 727-0900, ext. 780 or e-mail email@example.com.
Sand-Shakes & Mud-Pies
Students collect sediment samples from different wet habitats, measure and compare sediment composition from these sites in order to find relationships between sediment size and various environmental factors. Elementary students separate and observe layers; older students make calculations based on their data. (Grades 4-12)
· Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science: 4.1, 4.8, 5.1, 5.7, 6.1, 6.2, 6.6, ES.1, ES.2, ES.8, ES.9, Math: 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 5.3, 5.11, 5.17, 5.20, 6.7, 6.9, 6.10, 6.18,7.21, 7.23, 7.25, 8.18
- Time Required:
WORLD WAR II The Home Front http://www.baylink.org/lessons/3fr_macmem6.html
Primary source documents, artifacts, and photographs located in one of the MacArthur Memorial’s classrooms spark discussion of what is was like to live in Norfolk during World War II. Time frame: 1941 and 1945. (Grades 4-9)
- Location: BayLink - State Parks
- SOLs Covered: Science: 4.1, 4.8, 5.1, 5.7, 6.1, 6.2, 6.6, ES.1, ES.2, ES.8, ES.9, Math: 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 5.3, 5.11, 5.17, 5.20, 6.7, 6.9, 6.10, 6.18, 7.21, 7.23, 7.25, 8.18
- Time Required: 2 hours
- Cost: Field Trips to the MacArthur Memorial can be taken without charge.
Cultural Portal Categories